[ale] [Semi-OT] Re: More reasons to adore Microsoft

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Apr 15 19:36:19 EDT 2010

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, Jim Kinney wrote:

> You raise some interesting points. I am just too pessimistic about human
> behavior when profits are on the line.
>
> Notice I said profits and not jobs.
>
> The profit part will always trump the job part until the job of the profit
> maker is on the line. If the American tech companies could get their
> products made by 4 year olds working until they died on line so profits
> would go up $0.01 per share, they would sub it out 5k layers deep so it
> didn't touch them.
>
> In the mid 80's a chemical company in W. Germany had an accident and an
> explosion which led to a large leak of (forgotten) nasty chemical into the
> Rhine river. It was very bad. It took nearly 10 years for the river to
> support life again.

If we are thinking about the same incident, that was a Swiss firm in
Basle. Fire in a warehouse or something of that sort, and the drains were
not sized for that possibility. And yes, the competition is supposed to
have taken advantage of the situation to make their own dump. Whether or
not that was ever proved I don't recall at all.