[ale] Facebook photo uploader and Firefox

rs at ale.spam.futz.org rs at ale.spam.futz.org
Thu Apr 15 18:28:38 EDT 2010

>Is there a way to force two instances of FireFox?  I can have one
>instance for only FB and then the other instance for everything else.

I do that.. I actually have man instances...  First set up the profiles
you want. This script can start a separate browser for each... I think the
secret is the MOZ_NO_REMOTE setting.

------ ~/bin/ff ------
export MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1

if [ "x$1" = "x-d" ]; then
   DEBUG="-d gdb"
   shift
else
   DEBUG=""
fi

case $1 in
 # no adblocking/noscript, set to not save history/cache/cookies
 d*) PROFILE=dummy ;;

 # bookmarks for finance sites
 f*) PROFILE=finance ;;

 # social network sites
 n*) PROFILE=networking ;;

 # work related sites
 w*) PROFILE=work ;;

 # default for normal browsing, with adblock/noscript etc.
 *) PROFILE=me ;;
esac

cd ~

if [ -z "$DEBUG" ]; then
   nohup /usr/bin/firefox -P $PROFILE &
else
   /usr/bin/firefox $DEBUG -P $PROFILE
fi

so "ALT-F2 ff w" gets my work session, then I switch to another desktop and
"ALT-F2 ff f" to do my banking, rinse and repeat.

--
Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.