[ale] [Semi-OT] Re: More reasons to adore Microsoft

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Thu Apr 15 12:21:03 EDT 2010

Actually it might have some impact if the broader media carried the
story about use of child labor and left out the rest of the cruft I saw.
Corporate reputations are important in America and Eruope and even if
Companies initially try to justify actions as "common business practice"
they often enough back off pretty quickly due to public opinion even if
they don't admit that was a main driver in reversing themselves.
(Google used the excuse of Chinese hacking for their backout from China
but that was proceeded by a lot of bad will in Geekdom over their
acquiescence to China's intrusive internet laws.)

Kathy Lee Gifford had a very hard time when similar allegations were
made against her clothing line.   Sure M$ isn't as closely tied to
general consumer mood but they do have to pay some attention to public
opinion.