[ale] thinking about switching away from ubuntu

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Wed Apr 14 13:15:05 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 10:39 -0600, JK wrote:
> On 4/14/2010 8:09 AM, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
>
> > I am starting to find Ubuntu is also bugging me.  However, I also agree
> > with others on this thread that every distro bugs me after some period
> > of time.
>

> Yeah....  Of course, Windows users never have that problem, so
> obviously Linux sux  :-p
>
> -- JK

Someone is a bit sensitive.  See this email excerpt:

------

"> Microsoft and Mac do. Mac is not quite as bileous vomit-making as
> windows but it is becoming more and more of a close system with each
> release and new product launch.

> James P. Kinney III

Hear!  Hear!

I mean seriously, Windows XP and 7 are NOT bad desktops.  However they
are a pain to get to do anything outside of "normal" operations (as
defined by the design engineers).  Mac just "works" unless you want to
do something Apple says you can't do"

----end------

I can use windows for about 20 min before it's limits drive me nuts.  I
can use Ubuntu/Fedora/Debian for about six months to a year before
$DISTRO drives me nuts.  I can only use Suse for about three days (Sorry
Suse users, just my preference).

I vacillate from super simple (Ubuntu) to do it yourself (Debian) and in
between (Fedora ??).  The more it does for you, the harder it is to get
under the hood.  The less it does for you, the more you *have to* get
under the hood.  A rather interesting distro I have found is called
MoonOS Linux.
http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=moonos&month=all&year=all

http://www.moonos.org/

http://www.moonos.org/download

It is Ubuntu 9.04 coupled with E17 window manager and some stunning art
work.  Sadly, I use dual monitors and it does not work well for that.
E17 seems to have the features I like about Xfce4 but it is much more
pretty and polished.  Take a look, take a lookers.

Note, at no time have I suggested to turn in Ubuntu/Fefora/$DISTRO and
just use Windows.

--
Damon
damon at damtek.com