[ale] OT: WD "Advanced Format" and "Green Drives"

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Fri Apr 9 15:05:22 EDT 2010

Helpful advice from a newegg review. I've seen this elsewhere in their
reviews, too.

"Here's a suggestion for anyone buying a hard drive, go with FedEx, the
express saver is the cheapest. I know it cost more than UPS and Newegg's
"free shipping" isn't FedEx, but here's the deal: I have bought over 30
hard drives (Western Digital and Seagate) through Newegg in the past 2
years, 100% of the ones shipped FedEx are still running, 80% of the ones
shipped UPS were either DOA or failed within 6 months. UPS beats the
He11 out of their shipments, even their website states that every
package is subject to a 6 foot drop. Do the math, free shipping or
cheaper UPS shipping isn't free in the long run. I ship my non-fragile
items with the free shipping, but I do a separate order and use FedEx
for hard drives and Motherboards."

wf