[ale] OT: WD "Advanced Format" and "Green Drives"

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Fri Apr 9 11:44:35 EDT 2010

Why go USB when you can go eSATA?  I've had a "higher" failure rate of
WD drives at work and overall in the past few years but am running WD on
my home machine w/o issue.  The work drives were likely damaged in
shipping (installed in HP machines poorly packed/loaded -- load shifted
in transit and boxes came crashing down like dominoes).  We've had
around a dozen bad drives from a batch of 400+ boxes so far.  Failures
are usually bad blocks or dead-drives (short lived).