[ale] rsync comparisons

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Thu Apr 1 16:21:39 EDT 2010

That could hurt you badly; I'm not clear on how rsync uses bandwidth at
the same time but something tells me that with the NFS overhead in the
mix (hmm, fool with NFS block sizes and enable jumbo frames, maybe?) an
rsync operation that goes both in and out on the same NIC via NFS isn't
necessarily going to utilize a duplex network connection cleanly.

Clearly turning on compression in rsync won't help.

Are the two NFS exports on two different machines?  If so, are you sure
you can't have this operation take place just between the two of them,
with one set up as the puller or pusher?

Can you afford the disk space on the rsyncing machine to hold a copy of
what's being rsynced, such that you can do this in two stages?