[ale] New laptop

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Sep 30 20:16:35 EDT 2009

George Allen wrote:
> My home laptop broke, physically, after 5 years of abuse (IBM's stand
> up well), so I am looking to buy a new one. Considerations are:
>
> -Thinkpad T or X series. - I've had a T41 (still running headless w/
> dead LCD after 7years) and X32 (latest, cpu fan died) I like IBM, like
> the keyboard, prefer the trackpoint to a touchpad, and am satisfied
> with the durability. Also- IBM hardware generally supports linux.
>
> -Apple- always wanted one, couldn't afford one before now, am tempted
> but realized I could even get the IBM X200-Tablet for the price of a
> 15in macbook pro. Also questionable linux support, because I would
> install linux on this. They seem durable, but I don't know that I
> quite like the keyboard/trackpad much.

As I understand it, with the latest kernels, you will have full support
of all the hardware in your Mac.  I'm not there yet with mine, but I
haven't had the time to devote to the effort.  As it is, most everything
works.  Right now I have no camera, no sound, no backlit keyboard.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin