[ale] Update Linux alternative to Sharepoint

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Wed Sep 30 09:16:43 EDT 2009

I think I may have mentioned this before, but you might also look at
kablink, http://www.kablink.org
It provides file sharing and versioning, along with pretty much any
other SP equivalent functions, plus maybe a few more.
-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> 9/29/2009  10:51 PM >>>
Look at Knowledgetree. It's an open source, direct competitor to
Sharepoint. It has a community version that works very well. The
annual costs for a 25 person office are plenty easy and you can get
direct M$ Office save-to capability if you are still stuck if office
suite la-la land. Supports versioning and read-only while open for
write capabilities, etc.

Once you factor in the cost of just biting the bullet and jumping ship
to OpenOffice and add in the educational use discount, you have money
in the bank for training and a decent server to run it on.

<mode='snippy'>I find it interesting that the solution was to get and
load a trial version of sharepoint and then crow over how easy it was
with no mention of the research path taken other than a "post to ALE
with not much response". A search on Freshmeat.net for "document
management" returns 14 pages of code to try out. A Google search for
"linux document management system" returns 11+ million hits. A search
in Microsoft's Bing returns 75+ million hits. </snippy>

<mode='arogant bastard'>My personal favorite is ASCII text files and
subversion with LaTeX for layout. Keeps the button-pushing
mouth-breathers at a great distance.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Craig Button <craigb.rn at gmail.com>
wrote:
> A week or so ago I posted a request for suggestions for a Linux
alternative
> to MS SharePoint.  I didn’t get much in the way of responses, so
I’ve had to
> do some research myself.
>

> Well I started with MS.  I downloaded demo of  MS Server 2007 and
SharePoint
> 2007.  Once burned to DVD I installed it on a new leftover computer
with a
> new hard drive.
>

> 1.5 hours later I had an intranet up and running, with document
sharing,
> discussion board, email, calendar sharing and document collaboration.
> added the 25 people to the domain, and it’s been being tested for
that past
> 5 days.   Easy and I never had to look at a manual or a book, it
recognized
> all the hardware, took the IP address and all that kind of stuff.
Haven’t
> calculated cost yet, but we are eligible to education discount.  I
figure
> this weekend I’ll look into security issues and then take the next
step.
> Linux alternatives.  Oh and the VPN is through the router so I
didn’t have
> to look into that kind of stuff at this level.

James P. Kinney III