[ale] SSH Reverse Proxy

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Sep 25 21:06:27 EDT 2009

When an ssh client initiates a connection to an ssh server, does it send
the hostname of the ssh server?

I'm trying to figure out if it's feasible to write a reverse proxy for
ssh. Imagine several NATed hosts behind a public gateway. Instead of
forwarding ports, using ProxyCommand, or some other solution that
requires changes client side, you could have a reverse proxy running on
port 22 of the gateway that checks the hostname and transparently
redirects traffic to the right host.

After some time with Wireshark and RFC 425* I don't think this is
possible. However, I thought I'd check since certainly I'm not the first
person to have thought of this and there are probably some ssh gurus on
this list.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts