[ale] Central git repository with multiple users

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Thu Sep 24 22:08:03 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Andrew Grieser <agrieser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I need to host a git repository that several people will have commit access to. I can see two ways of doing this, and would appreciate input.

I guess somebody's bound to say it, so I might as well: That's at
odds with the design philosophy of git, which was created for multiple
developers who would each have a clone of the repository, and who
would pull from one another at will, after communicating about the
changes.

If you don't mind communicating about the changes, then you can
just do what the Linux kernel developers do.  Linus Torvalds is the
one with the most central git repository, but there are other developers
who serve as hubs, so that, e.g., when I send out an aoe driver patch,
Jens Axboe puts it in his block layer git tree, and then he asks Linus to
pull from his tree.

Using a distributed system like git in this way helps the flow of
changes to reflect the human relationships.  If that isn't desirable,
maybe svn would be a better choice, since it was created for
people seeking to do what you appear to be interested in doing.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/