[ale] Starting ftpd-ssl in Ubuntu-8.04

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Sep 24 17:26:30 EDT 2009

Brian -

Thanks for the help.

I found neither a running instance of 'inetd' nor anything listening on
FTP's network port. ['hardy' (8.04) seems to provide 'inetd' rather than
'xinetd'.]

I then started 'inetd' manually and FTP service came up. I guess I need an
'inetd' entry in '/etc/init.d'. If I can't find an example somewhere in
the docs, I'll do a bit of surgery on the 'xinetd' version used in more
recent releases.

Actually I do plan to configure some firewall rules, so that will probably
bring on my next questions.

Clearly I need to learn my way around Ubuntu (and by extension, Debian)
documentation. Pointers always welcomed.

  - Mills