[ale] Rebooting remotely without a usable /

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Mon Sep 21 10:41:42 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 09:46 -0400, Matt Rideout wrote:

> Good thinking! It's running 64-bit Intel Xeon MP 3.66GHz CPUs. Nothing
> located on the disk that isn't already loaded into RAM is usable, so
> compiling on the box isn't an option. I wouldn't be able to scp a binary
> over, or execute the commands to mount a memory filesystem in the
> traditional sense either, since those would access files on the drive.
> Would there be anyway to make that syscall purely from memory?

OH!

Do you use devfs, udev, or /dev/shm?  You can store files there and
execute them!

	--- Mike

--
Blog:  http://mike.trausch.us/blog/
Misc. Software:  http://mike.trausch.us/software/

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too
high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving
our mark.” —Michelangelo