[ale] Rebooting remotely without a usable /

Matt Rideout mrideout at windserve.com
Mon Sep 21 06:29:53 EDT 2009

I have a server that's having issues with its / which prevent shutdown,
reboot, init, etc from being accessible. This could be a hardware or
firmware issue, so I'd like to reboot, and diagnose it remotely so that
I'll know whether to order any hardware before going on-site.

I can SSH in, and have an IP KVM hooked up, but have no remote power
management. The SysRq trick isn't working through the KVM. It seems like
there should be a way to reboot through /proc, but I'm drawing a blank.
Any ideas?