[ale] login slowdown with large number of user accounts

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 23:36:58 EDT 2009

check memory usage to see if you are hitting swap. K12Linux hitting
swap is pretty much death to the system as it thrashes itself until it
gets rebooted or users give up and the load drops.

K12Linux _does_ use the server for thin client swap space since the
clients have no drives. So in my opinion, the current version does not
scale well to the client counts loaded up at APS.

You will need to determine some usage levels to make an educated
starting point for tuning the system. sysstat is your friend here and
kSar will provide pretty graphs.

Config files has moved from the old /opt location to somewhere in /etc
(I think - I haven't touched this stuff in 2 years).

The best solution is discern the process for using thin client Local
Apps to shift the load off the servers and onto the clients. Little
clients do small jobs and big clients do bigger jobs.

Lastly, gdm is a hog that seems to choke on 20+ users. Look at the ldm
as a better replacement.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:15 PM,  <dhhoward at comcast.net> wrote:
> Folks, at my daughter's school we're seeing a huge slowdown in login time on
> K12Linux/Fedora10 after we added 1050 user accounts (one for each student).
> The server in question has only 100GB of hard disk space.  Any ideas as to
> what is happening?  Could each user account be automatically setting aside
> say 100MB of HDD storage resulting in no more swap space or something like
> that? Is there a config file somewhere that we could modify so that user
> accounts have less?  Thanks, Daniel

James P. Kinney III