[ale] FWD: Southeast User Group Leaders Scummit

Thu Sep 10 11:33:35 EDT 2009

I have to agree with Ryan on this one. I prefer to be a little more
subtle and just refuse to capitalize microsoft, windows, or .net. Most
of the time I use MSFT to refer to microsoft because the only value I
see in them is their stock ticker.

On 9/10/09, Ryan Curtin <ryan at igglybob.com> wrote:
> Normally I don't reply to ALE threads since they tend to be very long-winded
> discussions that I unfortunately don't have the time to get involved into,
> but I
> do want to point something out.
>
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 03:08:23AM -0400, aaron wrote:
>> extensions of FistYa7 that serve the sole purpose
>> In the case of Mafia$oft, it is really impossible
> (and so on)
>
> Can we actually call these companies and their products by their correct
> names?
> I understand the dislike, certainly (I am no huge fan of Microsoft myself),
> but
> the far-fetched lexicographical similarities that give rise to such random
> names
> as "Mafia$oft" only really lead to confusion for the weak-minded like me.
> When
> I read that originally, it took me a day or two before it clicked.  I
> thought
> Mafia$oft was some sort of blackhat-related group.  And FistYa7?  I still am
> left without a clue, but based on the context I can only guess 'Windows 7'?
>
> Not to descend too far into a tangent, but I have to say, as the president
> of
> LUG at GT, one of the big things that turn people off to user groups is
> zealotry
> like this.  It alienates those who haven't fully embraced Linux and FOSS.
> At
> Georgia Tech at least, we cannot survive like that, since incoming freshmen
> who
> are well-versed in Linux are actually kind of rare (ones that show at
> meetings
> even more so).
>
> Please don't take my comments the wrong way -- I don't mean any disrespect.
>
> --
> Ryan Curtin       | "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here!  This is the
> ryan at igglybob.com | War Room!" - President Muffley

Sent from my mobile device

.!# RichardBronosky #!.