[ale] SUCCESSFUL: My first custom recompile of an RPM. Was: Anyone have experience hosting email for multiple domains?

Ken Price lists at nettwrek.com
Thu Sep 10 03:45:51 EDT 2009

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 00:38:56 -0400, Richard Bronosky
<Richard at bronosky.com>
wrote:
> However, rebuilding RPMs has been something that intimidated me, and I
> always handed off to one of my direct reports.

It's actually much easier than people think.  Kudos for taking the plunge.
If you manage more than a couple servers, you'll never want to
"untar/configure/make/make install" again.

> Brandon, it turns out that the postfix RPM in the CentOS 5 base repo
> is not compiled with MySQL support, so that pretty much invalidated
> your guide for that version of CentOS. I've included my script for
> rebuilding the RPM with MySQL support. It can be found (without mail
> line wrapping) at http://dpaste.com/91687/

One thing about RHEL/CentOS ... typically someone else has already done
most of the leg work for you.  I know this is a learning experience for
you, so rebuilding the RPM was probably fun ... however, that RPM already
exists in the centosplus repo.  "postfix-2.3.3-2.1.centos.mysql_pgsql"

Browse http://mirror.centos.org/centos-5/5/

The "extras" and "centosplus" repos are very note worthy.

CentOS/RHEL has many third-party repos already available to you that will
provide you with most everything you need.  The ones to remember are ...

These are the top two, but they can conflict with each other.  Be wary of
package versions.
http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/ (aka rpmforge)
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

Then there is
http://atrpms.net/  (Be wary of this one.  Good for hard to find packages,
but if you don't know what you're doing, you can compromise the integrity
of your system)

If you're careful, and restrict and prioritize repos, they can all be used
harmoniously.  On one class of mail server, I use a combination of all the
following repos:
CentOS-base/CentOS-extras/Rpmforge/EPEL/Atrpms/+my_own_custom_repo

If you want PHP 5.2.X and MySQL 5.1.X, well there are a couple repos for
those too ... but then you really start pushing your luck if you aren't
fluent in rebuilding RPMs and managing dependancies.

> As always, I welcome anyone's thoughts.

Ok.  :-)  IMHO, it's easier just to manange/edit/version spec files.
However, I like the script.  :-)

Best Regards,
Ken Price