[ale] Epic 'wish I had chosen Debian' fail

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Sep 7 14:35:31 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 11:56 -0400, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> --source is exactly what I was trying, but the default CentOS install
> does list any source repos. I cannot find any documentation on adding
> source repos to CentOS.

	Ah, sorry.  I missed that little point in your original post.  Guess I
should read a little closer, next time.  That does raise an interesting
question then.  Since CentOS largely mirrors RHEL, I wonder whats in
RHEL.  I'll have to check that out.  Should be possible to create a
source repo for yum if CentOS has to corresponding repos in their mirror
list.  Checking in the repos, I see that they do.

	This should work for a straight baseurl repo.  I'm not sure about the
correct syntax for enabling the mirrors:

CentOS-Base-Source.repo:

[base-source]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base Source
# mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/SRPM/
enable=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5

#released updates
[updates-source]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
# mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=updates
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/SRPMS/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5

	Just tested that as well.  Works like a charm.

	Follow the same pattern for all the others.  Name the repo
[repo-source], comment out the mirrors, uncomment the baseurl, and
change $basearch to SRPMS and add "enabled=0" to the repo.

	The source rpm repos are typically not "enabled" per se.  Seems like
yumdownloader uses them anyways if the corresponding non "-source" repo
is enabled.  Not sure how it manages that.  You probably do NOT want to
enable it or yum update might do strange things.  They do NOT have to be
in the same repo file, so you can create a separate -source repo and not
have to worry about an update clobbering your changes.

	Mike