[ale] IPv6 routing issues

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Sun Sep 6 10:28:23 EDT 2009

Michael H. Warfield wrote:

>> 	Check the documentation up on their site.  You probably need to use a
>> different tunnel anchor.  It's been ages since I've used my Freenet6
>> account.

How do you get your IP6 connectivity, may I ask?

The freenet6 web site is dreadfully unhelpful -- at least, for this
particular issue.  It's chock full of generic IP6 info, but no answers
to "why doesn't UDP encapsulation work".  Everything there (and on
other fora that address the question of "which tunnel broker to use")
seems to indicate that UDP encap is supported.  So I'm left thinking,
"WTF?"

> 	Another possibility you could try would be to configure a passthrough
> on that DSL router/NAT for protocol 41.  That's not port 41 and it's not
> TCP or UDP.  It's protocol 41.  That's the SIT protocol.  It sits
> directly on IP.  TCP is IP protocol 6, UDP is IP protocol 17, ICMP is IP
> protocol 1, SIT aka IPv6 aka 6in4 is IP protocol 41.  I don't know your
> device so I don't know if you have that option.

Bleh. 2Wire HomePortal, knows nothing about anything other than TCP and
UDP.

So, I put a stupid DSL modem directly in front of my Ubuntu box,
grabbed a public v4 addr from ATT, locked down iptables (for both
v4 and v6 traffic), and the freenet6 client started working.
Unfortunately, this will require some fairly major re-organization
of my network, but oh well.  Should be fun.

Thanks,

-- JK