[ale] Fedora 11 update broke my printer

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 11:27:10 EDT 2009

Yesterday all the hp related files were updated on F11. My printer
started reacting strange last night in that certain files would not get
printed, but would sit in queue "processing" indefinitely. This morning
when I booted it just stopped working period. I now get
/usr/lib/cups/backend/hp failed. I have tried to downgrade in yum and
that failed. Tried cleanup of hp packages and that failed. All my
searching only turns up this problem with USB printers, mine is network
connected. Through the HP GUI Device Manager I am able to print the
"Print Quality Diagnostics Page", that's it. If I do the following,
"lpadmin -p `HP Officejet Pro l7700` -E -v
hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7700?ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" I get -bash: HP: command
not found. I am doing this su'd to root. From the CLI I have not been
able to get the correct URI all I've been able to get is "direct hp".

When I try to execute /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp I'll get, "direct hp
"Unknown" "HP Printer (HPLIP)"". My thinking is that the update
clobbered something to do with the printer config. Should I attempt to
delete the printer(s) and then recreate them, or is there something else
that I can try?

TIA
Scott