[ale] lost in the home directory

Adric Net adric at adric.net
Tue Sep 1 16:29:37 EDT 2009

Hi drifter,

If this is a recent Mozilla, say Firefox 3 or newer, then AFAIK the
bookmarks, history, stored usernames, and whatnot are all in sqlite3
files, like so:
lorelei-lee-long:llysnb8k.default adric$ ls *.sqlite
content-prefs.sqlite	permissions.sqlite	urlclassifier.sqlite
cookies.sqlite		places.sqlite		urlclassifier2.sqlite
downloads.sqlite	search.sqlite		webappsstore.sqlite
formhistory.sqlite	signons.sqlite

I do also have some bookmark files, which may be quite old, as well as
the backup files.

lorelei-lee-long:llysnb8k.default adric$ ls bookmark*
bookmarks-1.html		bookmarks.html
bookmarks-2.html		bookmarks.postplaces.html
bookmarks.bak			bookmarks.preplaces.html

bookmarkbackups:
bookmarks-2009-08-27.json	bookmarks-2009-08-31.json
bookmarks-2009-08-28.json	bookmarks-2009-09-01.json
bookmarks-2009-08-29.json

JSON is a JavaScript XML(?) object format, kind of like Java serialize
or python pickle(). You should be able to dig up some libraries in
your favorite language to muck about with.

Ref: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/The_Places_database

hth,
adric