[ale] Video Podcast suggestions

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri Oct 30 23:18:54 EDT 2009

On 2009, Oct, 30, , at 4:55 PM, Atlanta Geek wrote:

> It looks like you want to do a screencast. Is that it.
> Just to make things interesting here is a screencast on how to create
> a screen cast in linux.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwNZDeB1k8s...

Actually it shows how to use windisease to make a screencast.
Basically what Craig is doing already.

I feel his pain.  For a few years now I've been looking for a
more purest OSS / Linux way to do this kind of thing.  Right now
the process for me is to export the slides as PDF or TIFF, then
edit them to the audio track or DV video recording in (Mac OSeX)
Final Cut Pro. Then for workable distribution at a semi manageable
bandwidth I have to trash all the quality and release it all in
a proprietary encoded pixeo format and wrapper like h.264 under
Flash or as a Quicktime movie. Not only is the slide quality and
resolution MASSIVELY compromised by the pixeo scaling and compression,
the bandwidth waste is still massive as well - far more that a static,
full quality slide images in sync with an OGG audio track, which
is all that is really needed.

One of these life times I'm going to work out a solution to this.
We need a computer film strip format.  SMIL comes close in intent
and such, but production tools seem nil and development looks
stagnant.

some day.

peace
aaron