[ale] Home" Brew" Carbonite

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 11:16:27 EDT 2009

The prime function would be for remote backup of the plethora of computers
in the household, but not necessarily in the house. The audio & video bit is
sort of a "might as well" while I'm building. Thinking along the lines of a
Myth storage server or DLNA type server and maybe eventually to house the
collection of DVDs. I don't have a HDTV yet, but it seems that most/many of
the new ones are coming with Ethernet connectivity, not to mention that a
PS3 can play some streamed video. Most computers these days have at least
1GigE port and with the cost of 8 port GigE switches at well under $100, it
seems to me that some form of IPTV is the future of home distribution.

The main question remains, how should I go about configuring such a system?