[ale] OT - OSX hostname

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 00:23:07 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Jerald Sheets <questy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know that in DHCP-land on OSX, you'll assume the name assigned to
> you in the DHCP offer unless you've otherwise set the hostname.
>
> Pretty standard fare for Macs...

For those not in the know:

If you leave a Mac at the default (usually John Doe's computer, John Doe
being the name of the owner as entered in the setup of the machine), it'll
have a habit of changing the name if DHCP offers one.  I usually make the
effort to change its name so it is unlikely to do so:

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Computer Name

While in that preference pane, I usually also enable Remote Login (ie: ssh),
and enable Remote Management (Apple Screen Sharing/Remote Desktop/VNC) since
I usually have to jump between 3 or 4 Macs.  Unless you have a specific
reason, I'd turn that OFF as a default, so check that status when you change
the name.

Brian