[ale] Ubuntu Linux ROCKS! (The Saga of Miss W)

wylde bill durtybill at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 01:27:29 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 15:47 -0400, Asher Vilensky wrote:
> Very cool story.  And I want to turn our Gateway laptop (Vista) into
> Ubuntu every day.  My only reservation is that there are still too
> many [wimp] websites that are built for IE only (my bank, insurance
> company, health-care provider, etc) - exactly those you need the most.
> In order to make electronic deposits at my bank I have to switch from
> my Macbook to an XP VM (with a big screen, since the graphic is
> rigid).  Yikes.
>
> So, Linux gurus, is there a solution (or a workaround) for such sites?

You can install IE up to version 6 under WINE, and it works.  At least
it did for me.  I've not tried installing silverlight or any of the
newer stuff (but I've heard that .net 1 & 2 install and run nicely under
WINE...

Itunes still won't work, though.  Not the last time I tried, anyway (for
my sister).

--
Would you want CONGRESS directing the LINUX collective?