[ale] Understanding Xorg

Omar Chanouha ofosho at gatech.edu
Mon Oct 19 14:11:44 EDT 2009

I have been battling trying to get xorg to work on an older system I
have. I finally got it working, but I am now interested in learning a
little more about what is really going on.

Really, I noticed that xorg has a set of drivers, and those drivers
seem to be affected by the choice of drivers made when compiling the
linux kernel. (ie, x ran fine w/ intel and i810 compiled, but froze
after a minute w/ i915). I also noticed I could use framebuffers as
opposed to DRM. That is about all the observation I got, I would like
to understand a little more about what each of these things are, and
how they are related.

Could someone recommend a good website(s), or perhaps a chapter(s) from a book?

Thanks,

-O