[ale] [OT] Update on the VoterGA Voting Rights Law Suit

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 21:33:57 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 2:09 PM, aaron <aaron at pd.org> wrote:

> On 2009, Oct, 18, , at 11:10 AM, Jim Lynch wrote:
>
>> aaron wrote:
>>> Earlier this month the Georgia Supreme Court handed down
>>> a decision in the VoterGA lawsuit challenging the
>>> constitutionality of Georgia's zero-evidence,
>>> unaccountable electronic voting systems.
>>>
>> I think the supreme court is probably right, actually.  While it's a
>> catch 22 for sure and not the most desirable outcome it's not
>> wrong.  In
>> the case, like this one,  where the laws don't provide for a
>> solution to
>> a catch 22 situation, the laws need to be changed or  enacted.
>>
>> Rather than faulting a court for a bad judgment, we need to educate
>> our
>> legislators and encourage them to  enact laws  favorable to a
>> system of
>> voting that will eliminate or reduce voter fraud.
>>
>> Unfortunately mixed up in that debate seems to be bias issues that
>> will
>> preclude any meaningful changes.  Anything that might seem to bias
>> votes
>> in the direction of on or the other party will result in the other
>> party
>> killing or rendering the law ineffective.   Neither party wants to
>> eliminate fraud because to do so would also restrain that party from
>> implementing fraud to sway an election.  Remember most of the
>> legislators got where they are, not by being straightforward and
>> honest,
>> 'cause that doesn't win elections.  Cheating, lying and fraudulent
>> behavior result in positive election results!.
>>
>> JIm.
>
> Thoughtful points, but it is my understanding that existing
> voting laws DO empower the courts to take action when the
> State is impeding the rights of voters to cast their ballots
> with the assurance that their votes are accurately counted.
>
> With the current Georgia voting systems, under full admission of
> the State defendants, assurance that the votes are counted is clearly
> not the case, and the court claim of "no standing" borders on criminal
> dereliction of duty.
>
> peace
> aaron

At least is consistent with the Fed courts that ruled the early suits
contending Obama was not a citizen had no standing because they were
brought by mere citizens and voters.

To overcome this Alan Keyes filled suit in CA where he was on the
ballot.  It will likely take a loosing candidate to sue in order to
get standing.

Greg