[ale] If you must restore a windows computer, how do you make it better?

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu Oct 15 17:59:49 EDT 2009

On Thu October 15 2009, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> * I say Ubuntu because Ubuntu is what I use, and it is a complete
> operating system combined with a functional (most of the time, at least
> I find more frequently than Windows) operating environment and a good
> choice of software.

I have a 3-year old Dell XPS laptop that is dual-boot XP & Ubuntu. I've tried
I don't know how many other distros ( I have a separate /home, so it is
easy..) but I always seem to go back to ubuntu, because of networking issues.
I've tried Debian & Simply Mempis recently, and I've always had networking
problems, either wifi won't work, or wired won't work. Ubuntu works for both,
flawlessly from bootup. I think Mempis destroyed my /home setup, because the
latest ubuntu 9.10 beta I installed 2 days ago, thunderbird was empty, it
started up the new user procedure, like I didn't have any accounts. oh well..
at least I have a keepassX database I can load into it that has all my
username/password combos:) XP I USED to need because, strangley enough, I was
installing Redhat servers with a kickstart CD. kickstart.exe is a windows
program.. go figure!!!!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800