[ale] If you must restore a windows computer, how do you make it better?

Brian Whigham oobx at itmonger.com
Wed Oct 14 16:11:02 EDT 2009

I have a dual head rig with VMWare Fusion, one head and virtual screen on
which I run XP full screen as a guest.  I think I could have it auto-boot
with a script.  I think I could do the same with VMWare server, without
requiring a script (I think it supports "boot vm at startup" out of the
box).  I don't mean to push the VMWare.  That's just how I do it.
VirtualBox would probably also be a great option.  I love VBox.  I just
don't remember how well it does full screen.

I tried to figure out how to move a physical partition to a virtual one
(P2V).  I couldn't.  I think it came down to the windows kernel that is
automatically chosen upon installation.  Physical had ACPI and virtual
hardware didn't or some such.  So, I just did a fresh XP install.

Trying to mask Linux entirely, without the potential of ever ending up in a
terminal, seems like a challenge.  It might be easier to manage expectations
and be ready to restart the VM, if need be.  I expect booting into the
full-screen Windows OS (as a guest) is possible, though.