[ale] If you must restore a windows computer, how do you make it better?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 15:14:31 EDT 2009

I will "snip" to just get to the point for a few questions.

Richard Bronosky wrote:
> ## Please include this in replies. The OP is requesting that we refrain from
> ## the use of cryptic L33t H at xx0r anti-MSFT-isms.

<snipped>

> I have recovered the data using my Linux desktop and a drive dock. I now must consider what
> to do with the bones.

If it had a Recover partition, did you save that also?  This might ease
things (drivers come to mind), and removing the bloatware isn't
altogether difficult.

> She will not use anything other than windows. End of story. Moving on.

I deal with this a good bit.  I'm not a zealot, so there is no problem
for me there.

> I would like to put a Linux based virtualization solution underneath
> so that I can have snapshots and recovery options in the future.

I'm curious why you couldn't just restore the machine via the Recovery
partition data (if salvageable), remove bloat, and then take a snapshot
with Clonezilla.  I make incremental images throughout my building a
Windows system.

<snipped>

> I [think I] know that I want to have all of the user directories on
> another partition so that I can restore the OS partition and leave the
> user data intact. But, I don't know what other considerations there
> are.

you can move the My Documents and such to a separate partition.  i used
to create a partition just for Data (downloads, documents, bookmarks,
pictures, etc.) on all my Win9x systems and use Ghost (at that time) to
restore images when necessary.  there are freeware programs that will
assist your moving 'My Documents' and the other files to a different
location (can look it up if you need those).  data backups can be sync'd
by using SyncEXP or IceMirror.  i like how SyncEXP is easy to set
specific tasks and anyone can execute a sync very simply.

> If you had to install windows for someone [how] would you try to make
> it better with Linux under the hood?

I am guessing that you have Windows XP Media Center Edition on the
machine.  I'm curious though... it sounds like you are going to run it
virtually with the 'linux under the hood' remark.  how fast is this machine?

Personally I would do this:

1) image Recovery to new drive or install from discs a fresh Windows system.

2) remove all bloatware and trialware

3) install AVG or Avira anti-virus.  both are 'lighter' than McAfee or
Norton and work just as well without all the other crap

4) install FireFox with Adblock plus and Update Notifier

5) install Malwarebytes

6) install CCleaner

7) install MaxMem from AnalogX and place shortcut into Startup folder

8) set all themes to 'Windows Classic' including Start Menu (also toggle
OFF the 'personalized menu' and 'hide inactive icons' in Start Menu
Properties

9) set Windows to 'Best Performance' in Control Panel > System
Properties > Advanced > Performance.  be sure to check the box for 'use
drop shadows for icon labels on desktop' or you will have unsightly
boxes around text

10) go through startup services and disable all things that are not
necessary.  a program like 'Startup Inspector for Windows' is good for
this.  if you are familiar with the nomenclature then you can also
disable startup services in CCleaner by going to Tools > Startup.

11) test system a bit and when pleased create a snapshot image with
Clonezilla using a LiveCD or USB thumbdrive saving image to external
location.

that's just off the top of my head, but might give you some inspiration.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/