[ale] If you must restore a windows computer, how do you make it better?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Oct 14 15:05:42 EDT 2009

You might try installing Cygwin since it allows you to run Linux
commands under Windows without doing a separate Linux install.

Recently when I was asking about Cygwin/Xming Doug Werth had this
interesting suggestion:
"Something that has worked real well for me, and is very inexpensive
(i.e. FREE) is a to load VirtualBox from Sun (similar to VMWare) on the
Windows desktop and then create a virtual partition with a copy of
Fedora Linux. On one desktop you can have Windows running along with an
instance of linux and all of its x-windows capabilities. I've used
cygwin in the past and would never go back."
I haven't looked into that myself yet but it likely allows other Linux
distros so you could probably choose your favorite.