[ale] power monitoring

Wed Oct 14 12:50:33 EDT 2009

I've got a Keithley "two thousand something" sitting around just
begging to monitor every circuit in my breaker box. Couple that with
my Arduino and I ought to be able to do some very interesting stuff.
All that is missing is the time to make it happen.

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Brandon Checketts
<brandon at brandonchecketts.com> wrote:
> TED is awesome.  I bought one this summer and put together a few scripts
> to monitor my power usage with MRTG:
>
> http://www.brandonchecketts.com/home/power.html
>
> Doh! It looks like the process died yesterday for some reason, but you
> get the idea from the historic graphs.  You can see that I went on
> vacation in August and power usage was really low.  There still is a lot
> more that I want to do with it.  I have it saving usage into a MySQL
> database every 2 seconds so that I can eventually 'play back' about
> anything.
>
> The device comes with a flash-based program that monitors usage and
> tries to do some fancier stuff (identifying which appliances are
> currently on), but I didn't have much luck with it, and didn't want to
> keep a 150+ Watt Windows machine running 24/7 to capture the data.
>
> I also have a script that I can run on my laptop that gives me basically
> a remote look at the display
>
> Pretty cool stuff.
>
> Thanks,
> Brandon Checketts
>

> krwatson at cc.gatech.edu wrote:
>> I have seen posts in the past on the list concerning power monitoring. I recently found out about a company that has products for this and their 5000 series is even Linux compatible.
>>
>> http://www.theenergydetective.com/
>>
>> keith

.!# RichardBronosky #!.