[ale] power monitoring

Brandon Checketts brandon at brandonchecketts.com
Wed Oct 14 12:02:13 EDT 2009

TED is awesome.  I bought one this summer and put together a few scripts
to monitor my power usage with MRTG:

http://www.brandonchecketts.com/home/power.html

Doh! It looks like the process died yesterday for some reason, but you
get the idea from the historic graphs.  You can see that I went on
vacation in August and power usage was really low.  There still is a lot
more that I want to do with it.  I have it saving usage into a MySQL
database every 2 seconds so that I can eventually 'play back' about
anything.

The device comes with a flash-based program that monitors usage and
tries to do some fancier stuff (identifying which appliances are
currently on), but I didn't have much luck with it, and didn't want to
keep a 150+ Watt Windows machine running 24/7 to capture the data.

I also have a script that I can run on my laptop that gives me basically
a remote look at the display

Pretty cool stuff.

Thanks,
Brandon Checketts