[ale] One home directory

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 09:23:56 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> It won't delete things unless you tell it to.  One hopes that someone
> that is using the same file on two separate systems isn't updating it
> independently on each as that is the only time it would "clobber" the
> file on one side or the other.   If one IS updating it on each side
> independently I doubt there is any tool that would reasonably decided
> which version is the one you want - at best it would decided based on
> which one had last been updated.

at which point it is discovered that the _real_ master version machine
has a bad clock and ntp was never turned on...

rsync is a perfect tool for replicating copies as long as the sync
from master, edit local, sync to master process is followed with out
fail.

If multiple people are editing remote copies then a real check-out/in
tool is required.

James P. Kinney III