[ale] there and back again (an HP laptop saga)

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 18:11:13 EDT 2009

Paul Cartwright wrote:
<snipped>
> I just something similar to my wifes ( Dell) laptop.. I was looking through
> the Dell DOCS that said to go to :
> start-dell-accessories restore OS
> well, there was no dell-accessories group, but I was able to restore using
> some magic command at the boot menu ( F8? F10?..)

on some machines after you format the partition it takes away the
"Ctrl+F11" restore option.  that was the case with this HP.

for Dell machines there is DSRFIX (Dell System Recovery Fix)
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm

i've used it in the past on Dell machines.  i WISH i had thought about
trying Puppy (or DSL/Ubuntu/Knoppix/whatever LiveCD you like) and
GParted before.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/