[ale] osCommerce

Brandon Checketts brandon at brandonchecketts.com
Tue Oct 13 11:55:07 EDT 2009

IMHO, osCommerce is in serious need of some competition.  The code is pretty old
and making even tiny changes to the site tends to break unexpected things.
Their concept of adding additional functionality via 'modules' usually requires
manual editing of core PHP files and copy/pasting code into the right places.
Modules frequently conflict with one another.  The Wikipedia article describes
these limitations plus some.

ZenCart is a derivative product that is a little better.  Since it is based on
the same code, is still has some of the core problems, but it does include a lot
of the most popular osCommerce mods by default.  So a base ZenCart installation
is a lot more functional than a base osCommerce installation.

Thanks,
Brandon Checketts