[ale] LUG at GT Meeting - 10.14.2009 - MD and RAID

Ryan Curtin ryan at igglybob.com
Tue Oct 13 01:19:04 EDT 2009

The Linux Users Group at Georgia Tech presents

"MD and RAID"
  by Scott Gilliland

Oct. 14th, 2009, 7:00 PM
College of Computing Building, room 52

Overview:

  This presentation will cover the basics of Linux's MD and LVM layers. MD
allows software RAID arrays: sets of disks accessed together to increase
speed or redundancy. The LVM driver allows for logical disk management,
letting you manage filesystems independently from the disks that they are
stored on, all while the filesystems are in use. Both are available in 2.6
kernels.

  I'll start with a high-level overview of how these two systems are laid out,
and then give a few examples of common usage of the administration utilities.
I'll also discuss available GUI front-ends to these tools. Time permitting,
I'll even give a live demo of these tools. Any specific requests are welcome.

Upcoming presentations:

  2009.10.21:  Linux in HPC
  2009.10.28:  SSH Tips and Tricks

Hope to see you there!

--
Ryan Curtin       | "Rock-and-rollers don't bathe."
ryan at igglybob.com |   - Sneed