[ale] Copy to remote NFS goes to wrong file system?

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Mon Oct 12 10:13:07 EDT 2009

The way NFS normally operates, it ignores mounted filesystems that are
below the directory it is exporting.  This can cause confusion.  So in
the case you describe, exporting /backups/remote does not
automatically also export the filesystem for
/backups/remote/<hostname>.  By contrast, if you were to export
/backups/remote/<hostname> and remotely mount it directly, you would
get the behavior that you wanted.

There are a couple of other ways to get around this problem, but
unfortunately I don't remember them at the moment.  I vaguely recall
that you need to put all the mount points into /etc/exports on the NFS
server.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 9:47 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a setup where one machine acts as a backup server (machine A)
> for another machine (machine B). (A) has two hard drives, sda and sdb.
> Since (B) is trying to store more data than can fit on the root file
> system of (A), I have (B) copy its data to a directory on (A) that is
> supposed to be mounted at /dev/sdb1. However, when (B) mounts the NFS
> share and does the copy, the data is placed on /dev/sda1. Why would
> this be happening? I'm not that well versed in NFS.
>
> For reference, (A) shares out a parent directory via NFS (e.g.
> /backups/remote) and (B) copies to a subdirectory
> (/backups/remote/<hostname>). The /backups/remote/<hostname>
> directory, in this case, is supposed to be /dev/sdb1.
>
> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

Björn Gustafsson