[ale] code bloat

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 12:20:54 EDT 2009

Why is the zipped Oracle 10g client for 32-bit Linux a 458MB file?

I don't want to replicate the entire dataset in the client! I just
want to be able to a query and get a subset returned.

Argh! stupid code bloat....

I can do EVERYTHING in Postgresql that the Oracle dba is doing with
less overhead, far better ROI and easier installation (11 rack is a
total PITA and Oracle is barely able to make it run on their RedHat
spinoff "Unbreakable Linux"). The only things I can't do are generate
a pretty picture of the data model easily (well - sort of - a tool I
use doesn't grok all the myriad of datatypes available to PostgreSQL
so it mislabels a few things) and do automatic partitioning and
dimensioning (it can be done with manual scripts to function in an
automatic manner - Oracle includes prewritten scripting and calls it
an automatic process).

All of postgresql rpm's (testers, replictors, jdbc's, procedural
languages, clients, dev environments, EVERYTHING!) is less than 30M.
Maybe Oracle license fee is based on lines of code...

James P. Kinney III