[ale] MythTV, older analog cards

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 09:26:45 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 6:37 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Paul Cartwright wrote:
>>> But what if the bullet were really, really tiny?
>>
>> what hits the ground first, a pound of feathers dropped, or a pound of lead??
>
> a pound of lead because of the air friction against the feathers.

Thus the reason MythBusters used identical .45 caliber bullets.
The mass of an object does not determine any significant gravitational
attraction difference until the two object being compared are differ
in mass on the scale of the mass of the earth. i.e. the moon dropped
from 1m from the surface of the earth WILL strike the earth sooner
than a 1kg ball of lead dropped at the same time and height.

F=Gm1m2/r^2  where F is the force of attraction, G is the
gravitational constant (6.7x10 ^-11 NM^2/kg^2), m1 and m2 are masses
of the objects and r is the distance between their centers of mass.

Since dropping things involves an acceleration caused by the force of
gravitational attraction, the above relationship shows that a pound of
lead vs. a pound of feathers will have no difference (barring external
forces such as wind resistance). But a MUCH larger object will have an
impact on the force as the object mass approaches that of the earth
(5.9x10^24 kg).

> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>  - Benjamin Franklin

James P. Kinney III