[ale] installing Ubuntu on a Windows system

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 14:08:29 EDT 2009

I am _almost_ positive that Ubuntu can shrink the winders partition to
make room for itself.

Before you do that, run the disk defrag tool from winders.

Once the new system is being install, it will ask if you want to dual
boot and the setup at that point is pretty much automagic.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Asher Vilensky <ashervilensky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please help me with some rust here.  It's been a while.
> We have a Vista laptop (Gateway something).
>
> 1.  I want to install Ubuntu on it in a new partition.  Using Windows, how
> can I tell if I can further partition the disk or if Windows occupies it
> all?
>
> 2.  Assuming I can indeed partition and install Ubuntu on the 2nd partition,
> when I boot the system, will it allow the user to boot either Ubuntu or
> Windows?  How is that done?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Asher

James P. Kinney III