[ale] Debian Raid1 boot problem.

Jack Schneider puck at dp-indexing.com
Wed Oct 7 10:52:00 EDT 2009

Hi, ALErs

I'm having problems booting the Debian default kernel
2.6.30-1-amd64 , although, I can still boot Debian  kernel
2.6.26-2-amd64
I have set up a pastebin file that describes my system and hardware.
http://pastebin.com/m6ff3f50c>  ONLY 2 Disks in use.
When I start the machine, it seems to see the two disk arrays, first
items on screen are "md0 and md1 found" but later in the process I get
to a place (fsck error) where it asks for root password for maintenance.
If I login and run 'vgchange -a y' it says found 7 lv volumes. but
starting init 3 fails.   It appears that since /var on /dev/md1 is
needed for booting - locks, logs etc.  It just hangs.  For some reason
it can't use /md1. Dmesg looks OK..
I have queried the Debian list and got some response. but the most
knowledgeable person I contacted is tied up in presenting a
dissertation. So no time.  8-(

Got any Ideas???

TIA jack