[ale] RANT re. KDE

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Wed Oct 7 05:24:53 EDT 2009

On Tue October 6 2009, Scott Denlinger wrote:
> I'm not really trying to start a flame war about desktop environments, even
> though that's where this may lead people. I hope not. But I am interested
> in peoples' experiences with alternative desktop environments. I installed
> Xfce after all the KDE cruft was gone. And so far, I'm really impressed.
> Compared to KDE, apps seem to snap open. I like the fact that I don't have
> to deal with the bloat of apps that I never used, but which were somehow
> deemed to be essential to a desktop environment.
yeah, I have KDE installed on my Kubuntu laptop, running karmic koala..

my home desktop is Debian, running gdm & gnome. BUT it also has kde installed,
because my wife uses the KDE desktop.  I USED to use kde on debian ( 3.5) but
I had a very annoying problem where it would log ME out when my wife switched
desktops to her. That stopped when I switched to gnome.
I still have problems sometimes with NOT being able to return to MY desktop
from hers, using ctrl-alt-F7. It shows the screensaver, but desn't DO
anything... I have to go to the commandline and KIL the screensaver.

> Are there other lightweight desktop environments out there that people
> really like? I'm curious to hear about them.

have you tried E7 ?enlightenment??

I used to use NextStep..:
http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taouu/html/ch03s05.html

--