[ale] Ubuntu Linux ROCKS! (The Saga of Miss W)

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Sun Oct 4 16:59:55 EDT 2009

On Sunday 04 October 2009, Asher Vilensky wrote:
> Very cool story.  And I want to turn our Gateway laptop (Vista) into
> Ubuntu every day.  My only reservation is that there are still too many
> [wimp] websites that are built for IE only (my bank, insurance company,
> health-care provider, etc) - exactly those you need the most.  In order
> to make electronic deposits at my bank I have to switch from my Macbook
> to an XP VM (with a big screen, since the graphic is rigid).  Yikes.
>
> So, Linux gurus, is there a solution (or a workaround) for such sites?

Far from a guru, but I can pretend:) Several workarounds exist, simplest
is to change your browser identification string. How to accomplish this
varies with diffrent browsers. Quick and easy with Konqueror, Tools -
Change Browser Identification - then pick one from the list.

I *think* you can also do this with Firefox. Pretty sure I have done so in
the past but not finding it at the moment...

For sites where lying does not work, IE will install and run under Cross
Over Office. IE 6.0 even appears in CXO's pre-caned list of supported
software. Probably will run under free Wine as well, but will not be as
pointy-clicky easy.