[ale] Acer Aspire One AO751H-1192 Sapphire Blue

Jim Popovitch jimpop at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 23:20:50 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 20:27, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:
> On 10/03/2009 07:52 PM, aaron wrote:

>>> The only video mode supported is VESA... which is slow and sluggish.
>>> There is some effort, although of no importance or urgency, to support
>>> the poulsbo video chip (Intel), but it's a mess right now. [snip]
>>
>> Given that the source of your issues rests entirely with the
>> proprietary video hardware that the manufacturer is NOT ALLOWING
>> Linux distributors to support, it seems way WAY !_WAY_! out of
>> line to be be cursing Ubuntu about it!
>>
>> Your complaint is with ASUS, and possibly with Mafia$oft being
>> to blame as well if they are (as is very, very likely) coercing
>> ASUS not to release API information or produce a Linux driver.
>>
>> Blame where blame is due dude, and the blame ain't with Ububuntu
>
> No, but it's not really with Asus (and certainly not microsoft). It's,
> believe it or not, with Intel.
>
> See
> http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/01/30/intel-gma-500-poulsbo-graphics-on-linux-a-precise-and-comprehensive-summary-as-to-why-youre-screwed/
>
> The author of that post has been doing a lot of work to keep poulsbo
> working as best he can in Fedora.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=poulsbo+site%3Ahappyassassin.net
>
> It looks like Ubuntu has simply said that if Intel won't support it, the
> proprietary components mean they can't make it work properly with the
> latest Ubuntu.
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2009-August/028670.html

And to confuse the the issue even more... Ubuntu *does* support it, or
at least they do support bits and pieces of it.

After much frustration the trick is to use the Jaunty
xserver-xorg-video-psb package
(http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/x/xserver-xorg-video-psb/xserver-xorg-video-psb_0.31.0-0ubuntu1~904um1_i386.deb)
and this source:
            deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/lucazade/gma500/ubuntu karmic main