[ale] Acer Aspire One AO751H-1192 Sapphire Blue

Jim Popovitch jimpop at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 20:08:43 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 19:52, aaron <aaron at pd.org> wrote:

> On 2009, Oct, 03, , at 6:41 PM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 18:30, Jeff Layton <laytonjb at att.net> wrote:
>>> Not to rub salt into wounds, but any details? (I have though about
>>> installing Ubuntu on one as well.
>>
>> The only video mode supported is VESA... which is slow and sluggish.
>> There is some effort, although of no importance or urgency, to support
>> the poulsbo video chip (Intel), but it's a mess right now. [snip]
>
> Given that the source of your issues rests entirely with the
> proprietary video hardware that the manufacturer is NOT ALLOWING
> Linux distributors to support, it seems way WAY !_WAY_! out of
> line to be be cursing Ubuntu about it!
>
> Your complaint is with ASUS, and possibly with Mafia$oft being
> to blame as well if they are (as is very, very likely) coercing
> ASUS not to release API information or produce a Linux driver.
>
> Blame where blame is due dude, and the blame ain't with Ububuntu
> (as my next post will affirm).

It's an Acer netbook, not Asus, and only the firmware is proprietary
(like many other things in Linux distros that use proprietary
firmware/code).   The issue isn't that it won't work... the issue is
lack of care to make it work seemlessly as part of Ubuntu.   Right now
the best of the current 6 ways to make the psb chip(s) work on Karmic
is not available because of a minor build error from 3 weeks ago.
<sigh>.  The bug(s) urgency on this is "Low" and there is no sign that
the psb drivers will be installable by Karmic's release.

You might think I'm jiving you... but Google (and even Bing!) is full
of stories on this... some many pages long.

-Jim P.