[ale] New laptop

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 08:10:51 EDT 2009

I love IBM thinkpads. I have not used a Lenovo thinkpad yet. I'm not
impressed with Lenovo's public stance on Linux support. IBM is a solid
Linux supporting company that Lenovo will be hard pressed to match.

The price spike for a mac is more because the mac OS is so finicky it
won't work without very specific hardware and apple likes a larger
margin. Mac systems are really good at certain things and Linux stuff
is not quite there in those areas yet (video work is a key example).
Mac repairs are usually big bucks and horror stories abound of systems
returning after a hardware fix with "fresh" drives and no customer
data left intact.

My wife has a new Dell Inspiron (shipped with Ubuntu!) that she loves.
My 3 year old Acer probably need to go back through a reflow oven as
the video will crap out and freeze up the box with vertical colored
stripe pattern. Grr.

I hope in the next 2-3 years we will be able to custom build laptops
like desktops. As the mobo shrinks it will become feasable. I want a
dual-chip, octal-core Opteron system at 2THz with 4.2 PB DDR14 RAM and
a direct cortex video adapter (with wireless option!) and the 4.5mW
nuclear power supply (the fanless one, of course!) and the
convertible, 300m waterproof case with the optional leather belt clip
and the satnav locater built in.

:-)

James P. Kinney III