[ale] Virus Removal

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Nov 30 09:26:12 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 08:51 -0500, david w. millians wrote:
> Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> > I don't understand why canonical doesn't supply flash images for UNR
> > considering that's the only way to install it. The iso image they
> > provide is easily put on a flash drive using their "USB startup disk
> > Creator" _if_ you happen to run a flavor of Ubuntu. I caved in and used
> > one of my Ubuntu machines to write the image just to get it done
> > quickly.

> Unetbootin. Works on windows or linux. Highly, highly, recommended.
> Takes an iso and turns it into a flash boot with almost no pain.

Portable Linux, <http://rudd-o.com/new-projects/portablelinux> will do
the same.  Will turn any Casper based "run-live" CD into a run-live USB
and setup up persistent storage and drive free space.  There's currently
a few problems running it on Fedora (some zope problems) but you can
build Ubuntu or Fedora run-live usb drives.

> (Pain: the XBMC boot, I had to change the syslinux.cfg file so that the
> menus said boot=usb vs boot=cd - but that's tolerable.)

Mike