[ale] Trying to use ATI Radeon On-Board Video

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 08:43:36 EST 2009

Make sure you have the ATi drivers installed that you would like to
use. The open source ATi drivers are quite good since ATi released
open documentation for their cards. The open source drivers even have
3D acceleration support, and Kernel Mode Setting (in the newest
drivers). The proprietary driver has faster 3D acceleration, but is
still garbage IMHO. If you switch between X and VTs frequently, then
the driver _will_ crash your system so hard that you have to reboot.

In any event, take a look at [1] and [2]. You might start by `mv
/etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup` and then `Xorg
-configure`. Then you can do tweaks by hand based on the information
in those two links.

[1] -- http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI
[2] -- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

--