[ale] testing firegpg with mailman

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Sat Nov 28 16:06:30 EST 2009

Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> Jim,
>
> On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 14:23 -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:
>> OK. So Mailman is (maybe) munging the gpg signature. Fixing that will
>> be a challenge if it's caused by signing the wrong sections of the
>> message body.
>
> Something is not right here.  I run a mailman site supporting several
> dozen lists and multiple domains (IT-ISAC, ISAC Council, +++) and I
> don't see this problem.  We use gpg/pgp all the time on those lists.
> Furthermore, my own signatures through the ALE list seem to be coming
> through fine.

	I've been sending gpg signed messages through Thunderbird using
Enigmail without problems. Further I've sent emails to myself from Gmail
using FireGPG and the signature was come through fine. I just hadn't
sent anything to the list from my Gmail account and using FireGPG.

	As I noted though FireGPG was base64 encoding the messages themselves
along with the MIME encoding so I don't know if it's that combination
that's causing a problem for the ALE mailing list software. It has been
isolated to email sent via FireGPG though it seems. Whether the fix
should be found in the mailing list software or FireGPG itself could
probably be debated in great length.

> Couple of years ago, I did run into a problem with MailScanner which
> Julian and I took a few days to shoot.  In that case, MailScanner was
> unpacking the mime and then repacking it (quoted printable in that case,
> I believe).  While the contents of the attachments remained unaltered,
> the encoding encapsulation changed (Mime is ambiguous on several points
> and something time MailTools or MimeTools will pack something
> differently than will Evolution or Thunderbird).  We had to stipulate
> something in MailScanner where the message was passed unmolested if
> nothing was found untoward in it, rather than repacking it and sending
> it on.
>
> There are a couple of MailScanner Mime settings that could impact this
> but I seriously doubt it.

	If anything running on the ALE mail server that would affect mail going
through the list could be a cause. If it's not repacking the message
back exactly as it was received this would invalidate the signature very
easily...